tirsdag, januar 30, 2007

Fuck(ing) you...

"...in a recent slam poetry event I attended in San Fransisco where an array of transgendered people spoke out ... one transwoman's poem reiterated her anger at the Michigan Women's Music Festival, at various psychiatric diagnostic terms, feminism, and after saying, literally "fuck you" to all these institutions, added "fuck you Judith Butler" ... The "fuck you" is rough going, but we would probably be remiss if we did not see that there is a "you" to whom this rough anger is addressed, that there is, even here, a bid for relationality, a speaking out and a speaking to. I continue to be dismayed by the use of "fuck you" as a term meant to injure another, since I would think that fucking you would be something I or anyone else might do from other kinds of sentiments. In fact, I eagerly asked my friend accompanying me to this event whether perhaps she was saying that everyone ought to fuck me, but she replied that I was wishfully reconfiguring it..."
- Judith Butler i "Transgender and the Spirit of Revolt" i The Eight Square – Gender, Life, and Desire in the Arts since 1960.

1 Comments:

Blogger mrtn said...

See, Judith. Now you're just pushing it.

11:44  

Legg inn en kommentar

<< Home